Thursday, December 6, 2007

Thing #13 Wikis for the HTML-impaired



I cannot remember the day but sometime back in the early part of 2007 I created a user name and password for my very own wiki. Exciting, I know. Pbwiki hosted it for free and all I had to do was play around and discover how to handle the editing software. With a little practice I had conquered and claimed my own little piece of the World Wide Web--without a lick of HTML knowledge I had my own webpage. The browsing peon uplifted to geek creator.

Since I've started this wiki thing I can't seem to stop myself. I created one for a library team and another is the RA wiki we are all posting on for Thing 14. Since my schooling all happens in the online environment I have found wikis to be an invaluable tool of collaboration. When your classmates are geographically separated and a group project looms, a wiki can allow editing and sharing that minimizes the clunkiness of email attachments.

This little wiki I use to keep my notes from the ALA Conference. This is a class project turned in via wiki. So many options for one who has no computer programming skills.

No comments: