Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thing #12 IM and VBPL

I have been a part of the IM reference service here at VBPL since we "went live" a few months back. Given the soft opening of the library's IM service the patrons have been few. Questions are similar to what you would receive in person or over the phone except for the occasional query regarding the possiblity that you may be a robot. I assure them I am of flesh and blood and the dialogue continues. I enjoy the often casual tone of these exchanges and marvel at the shorthand used by the IM-savvy patron. Although I too would like to lessen the keystrokes I retain the professional standard and reply in complete sentences.

Are libraries and IM a good mix? This is a question that is long past its prime. Many libraries have been using this service for years and though new to our system IM is a proven alternate mode of communication between patron and staff. We are a careful library system and wait until many other libraries are using a given technology before we dip our toes into the stream. Yes the water is fine, feel free to wade in.

4 comments:

Diane Wetterlin said...

You have the MOST beautiful pictures! It's such a joy to come look at them - thanks!

Matthew R said...

Thanks Diane!

Lady Black, the Raven said...

Great Pictures Matt. I hope everything is going well. You must let me know how the MLS program is coming along.

Cindy Hart said...

Matthew- You are so right. VBPL has for the last 6 pr 7 years a very caution corporate culture. In 2005, FORT task the Virtual Library with digital reference. But, there were still questions about the role of the Virtual Library in VBPL. In March 2006, I presented a plan to implement an IM Reference service. In the Spring of 2007, Nicole and I presented draft copies of various policies and guideslines --- including IM. Thanks for bearing with us!