Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Thing #2 Discover a Few Points About Lifelong Learning




To complete Thing #2 I needed to watch and listen to the online tutorial provided by Charlotte & Mecklenberg County Libraries and reflect on the lifelong learning habits that are the hardest and easiest for me. Let's start with the easiest first:

Accept responsibility for your own learning: It became very apparent to me during my undergraduate years that I could not rely on the classroom to teach me what I really want to learn. Like Wikipedia the classroom is a good jumping off point when exploring a new subject. But also like Wikipedia if you rely on just the classroom for your learning then you will only get a piece of the puzzle. When my undergrad classes were over and I had the piece of paper in my hand I could begin my real education. I started to read the classics. I moved out of my comfort zone, living and traveling in new lands. My immersion in the participatory culture of the web is a similar journey--the best lessons are learned through my willingness to explore and play.

Begin with the end in mind: This is probably my weakest point mainly because I'm more in the moment than the future. That doesn't mean that I can't make plans, more that I see plans for what they are: projections into the unknown. I think if they work for you great, if not then discard them and get back to the lifelong learning.

No comments: